The first in our Family Program Town Hall series, Starting (or Growing) Your Family is tomorrow night, Tuesday, 8/26, 6-8pm, here at the Pride Center of Vermont (255 S. Champlain Street, Ste. 12, in Burlington. We'll have a panel of resource and lived-experience experts to talk about the various ways LGBTQ families grow their families--alternative reproduction, surrogacy, and adoption. Snacks and childcare will be provided. Come to share your experiences, gain insight from professionals and other queer families, and build community in a supportive space. And please, spread the word!
For this first in the series, Starting (or Growing) Your Family, our experts include:
- Wanda Audette, Lund Family Center: Private Adoption
- Christopher Kaufman-Ilstrup: LGBTQ family perspective of adoption through a private agency
- Cathy Frost and Shannon York, VT Department for Children and Families: Fostering and Adoption through the State child welfare system
- Jodie Clarke, Northeastern Family Institute (NFI) Vermont: Therapeutic Fostering
- Claire Giroux-Williams: LGBTQ family perspective of fostering/adopting from public channels
- Rebecca Campbell, RN formerly of Fenway Health: Assisted Alternative Reproduction options
- Amber Carbine-March: LGBTQ family perspective of utilizing assisted reproduction
- Kurt Hughes, Burlington-area Family Lawyer: Surrogacy, and other Legal Questions
There will be plenty of time for questions and conversation. All ages are welcome. Children/youth are encouraged to be present and there will be childcare for very young children.
There should be ample parking out front of the Center (our space is accessible from a street-level entrance, look for the Pride flag in the window. If you need an elevator, there are directions posted on our door, you’ll need to enter the building through the awning a few doors down).
If you have questions, concerns, or suggestions, call the center at 802-860-7812 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The dates and topics for the whole series are as follows:
- Tuesday, 8/26 Starting (or Growing) Your Family
- Tuesday, 9/9 LGBTQ Families Navigating Systems
- Tuesday, 9/23 Trans*/Gender Fluid Families: Negotiating Relationships